Student Records Policy
The Braham Board of Education has adopted a policy regarding the collection, protection and privacy of student records. This policy is consistent with state and federal statutes which guarantee parents and students access to student education record information and control over the release of the information to others. Each building principal is responsible for maintaining and securing privacy and/or confidentiality of student records. Student records may be reviewed only with the written permission of the parent or the student (if the student is 18 years of age or older) except under the following circumstances:
- When the school officials have a legitimate educational interest in the student’s records.
- When the student records are forwarded to other schools or post secondary education institutions to which the student transfers, applies for admission, or enrolls.
- When the student’s records are in connection with financial aid for which the student has applied or received.
- To federal, state and local authorities when such information is specifically required by law.
The school district may release what is termed as student “Directory Information” which includes the following student information: student’s name, address, telephone number, birth date, sex, and current grade placement. If any parent, guardian or student (18 years or older) does not want this information to be released without prior written consent, they may notify, in writing, the superintendent’s office. The following information must be included:
- Name of student
- Home address.
- School presently attended by student.
- Parents’ legal relationship to student.
- Specific categories of directory information that will not be made public without parent’s prior written consent.
Community Use of School Facilities
All organizations must submit their requests in advance to the appropriate administrative office as follows:
- Community Room – District Office
- Elementary School:
- During School Hours – Building Principal
- After School Hours – Building Principal
- Summers – Community Education Director or Building Principal
- High School:
- During School Hours – Building Principal & Assistant Principal
- After School Hours – Building Principal & Assistant Principal
- Summers – Community Education Director, Building Principal & Assistant Principal
All Non-School Sponsored Groups
Organizations and governmental units within District 314 may be permitted use of the school buildings in accordance with the following provisions:
- Eleven-thirty p.m. is the cut-off time for the active portion of any activity.
- The use of the school buildings for playing games of chance shall be governed by the appropriate ordinances and statutes.
- No alcoholic beverages or tobacco will be permitted in school buildings or on school grounds.
- If any activity or meeting uses a custodial worker or any other school employee, the organization will reimburse the school district a fee determined by contracted salary schedules. This will include any additional clean up time.
- Additional expenses incurred by the district as a result of any community use of the school facilities shall be set annually by the school board and shall be borne by the user. Fees will include costs based on current rates for: electricity, heat, snow removal, and results of vandalism.
- Groups using the facility must acknowledge that liability insurance is provided through their organization.
Most recent Revision & Adoption: January 24, 2005
Independent School District #314
Braham, MN 55006
Fee Schedule reviewed annually.